Friday 25 September 2015

Audience Survey (Analysed)


This piece of data, states that a majority of the information gathered from this survey was from young adults; a factor that must be taken seriously as an extensive part of my analysis due to them being a significant part of our potential target audience.


From this response we can learn that on average, people watch from 4-15 films a month. Reasons as to why this piece of information is of value to our market research is because this will help me understand the likely chances of audiences seeking out the opportunity to watch my product; if the amount of films watched within a month is high then the chances of my media product being viewed is greater, however if those figures are low then I must ensure that I market this film to appeal to as many people possible.




This is one of the most important pieces of information gathered from this survey, as it presents how people gain access to films. The reason as to why this is so important to my investigation is because this will dictate where I will be making my media product available to the consumer market, all based upon where I believe is the best place to gain access to my potential target audience. 

As seen from the data, the most common access of media products are in fact the cinema and the online streaming site 'Netflix'. This information has a huge impact on the marketing and distribution on our product as this will determine whether our film is appropriate to be accessible within either markets. 



This data represents data on the various genre films the users have watched over the past 6 months, this information is of relevance to my investigation on the product potential market. This is due to the that there are so many different genres for audiences to choose from; some are preferred more than others. From this data, it states that 'Action/Adventure' and 'Comedy' are the most common selections as they have received round 25-30 responses. 'Crime & Thriller' has received a fairly positive amount of responses at 15. This overall sums that there is a relatively sizeable audience that will favour my product of the thriller genre, now I must ensure that my product caters the demands and expectations the viewers have.   



From the results shown in this data, I have learnt that people expect a product of the thriller genre to have a mature age rating of 15, this has quite an impact of the overall final product as this means that audiences have a fixed expectations in regards to the mature content, themes and ideas shown within a thriller story. This ultimately meant that the outcome of this information will lead me to re-evalutate my project and decide whether the film will contain codes and conventions typically associated with it's genre; but most importantly, whether it will meet the audiences expectations at a state of satisfactory. 


This question from the survey had me very curious as this would the affect the general popularity of my project. From the responses gathered on this question, the market was in my favour as the most preferred thriller sub-genre was 'Psychological'; this is extremely pleasing as my project will incorporate many conventions and ideas within it's narrative that will play a toll both on the minds of the characters and the audience.


This question's purpose was merely to evaluate whether or not our potential market would be willing to pay for extra services surrounding our media product. Services that creative team and marketing department must consider, as studios in the past have tend to market films to incorporate additional features such as releasing their products in 3D and/or in IMAX; in order to widen it's release with the goals of increasing it's chances of gaining revenue and appealing to a broader audience. 


Gathered from the survey, people favour short films with a fairly lengthy runtime of 8-15 mins; followed by the shorter runtime of 1-7 mins. In regards to my project, the runtime is a major factor as it relates to the audiences attention span. Audience seem the prefer a decent runtime up to a point that won't consume too much of their valuable time but will keep them entertained. A concept that I must be aware of during my production and will have a significant influence over the runtime within my product's final cut.



For the data presented here, focuses heavily on the audience's expectations of a thriller. From this information, tension within the story is a key factor surrounding their expectations within a media product of the thriller genre. As this is an expectation that is highly demanded amongst the people; this will inform the narrative of the film to ensure that our audience are satisfied with the product.

Overall the data gathered from the survey was highly informative in regards as to how we can ensure that our product not only has a market but also how to appeal the media product to our target market. All of this data will have major implications as to how the production of the project is taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment