Saturday 19 September 2015

A Lost Soul - Casting Max

For the process of casting the actor of play 'Max', I immediately thought of two actors I'd like to bring to character to life. The most beneficial factor of the character 'Max' is that I haven't allocated a specific race or ethnical background for the character; allowing me the freedom to cast any male actor. Both of my ideal actors I believe would execute their performance as Max ; a unique way that will appeal to my vision but also catering to their acting talents. The difficulty I face, is deciding which one of the two actors I want to offer the role to.

Actor number one - Matthew Bainbridge


Matthew Bainbridge as (Richard & William Lockewood) in "Downfall 2"

He is an actor that I have worked previously on a short-film called "Downfall-Dead Man Stalking" were he played twins. My reasons as to why I felt that Matthew was one of the actors best fitted to play 'Max' is his ability to present two side of one character; similar to his work on "Downfall" we he portrayed twins each with completely opposite characteristics and approaches to life. Something I believe Matthew would be excellent at pulling of in the character of "Max".  



Actor number two - Aayush Joshi


Aayush Joshi as (Aaron Blake) in "Downfall 2"


Aayush Joshi is an actor that I've also collaborated with in the past on four projects. He most certainly is one of the selections to play 'Max' as Aayush will be able to immerse himself both physically and mentally in any role he is given, a skill he has demonstrated to me in the past. Which will be of importance to me with the character of 'Max' as he will have to portray the sense of fear and confusion the character must face as well as his alter ego of being this ideal man.


Final Casting Decision 

I've decided to cast Aayush Joshi for the role of 'Max' as I feel that he will deliver the tensity and fear that is acquired from the character. Another prime influence as to why the role was offered to Aayush rather than Matthew is this current trend in the film industry with the need to cast white actors as the lead with no real justification other than for marketing; as other ethnic actors as casted for minor role. This is why I have chosen to cast Aayush for the role in order to challenge to conventions of casting actors outside what stereotypes would tend to be casted for the lead. Despite Matthew also having the acting ability to pull of the role, however I believe that Aayush will bring something unique to the character as well as adding an Asian man, a quality that will be added to the character of 'Max'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment