Friday 11 December 2015

2nd Editing Session

As apart of my 2nd editing session, my prime focus was to address the new draft of 'A Lost Soul' my amending any editing flaws that were pointed out within the feedback by my media teachers. Another aim I intend on pursuing within my next draft is to incorporate a rough sound mix by including the film's score and sound effects; this will help my progress my project as it will come closer to my final vision.

An example shot that was refined by smoothing the camera motion.
To commence this editing session, I began by reworking on established work and refining the visual aspect of 'A Lost Soul'. This decision was made to benefit my work flow as I got the less time consuming tasks done and out of the way. The types of tasks I am referring to is polishing the sequencing of the footage based from my feedback, making decisions as the director on whether or not these ideas will benefit my story. The decision I made to the visual aspect to my film was to trim down the timings on a few shots that dragged unnecessarily in order to help the overall runtime as well as the pace of the film.



Incorporating the film's score into the edit as times was stressful playing around with multiple tracks and finding which one helped deliver the emotions I desired from a given moment from the film, but the task was overall exciting as I got to see my vision truly come to life as the sound was added to another element to the project; as audio is certainly as important or in cases more important than the visuals.

My most time consuming task within this edit of the film was to not only sync the caller's voice to the phone, but also manipulate the pitch so it sounds deeper. This was done firstly by replacing the reference dialogue I record of myself voicing the lines of the caller with the official audio record of Aayush. Once that stage was completed, I then linked the audio with adobe audition which is the software I used to edit the pitch of the audio heard within the next draft of the film.


In order to create the voice of the caller, I brought the audio into the software and duplicated the audio; the intention behind this decision is to provide the voice with a sense of the supernatural entity as he speaks with multiple voices. The reason as to why the pitch has to be deeper is to ultimately emphasis the caller's seriousness connote that the caller is of significants to the story; implying his dominants both technically within the audio but also over the character Max.

Ultimately this was a successful editing session, I am bringing my project closer to being complete; over the next drafts I'll be looking to: refine the sound mix, adding the footage captured from the reshoots and enter the colour grading stage.


No comments:

Post a Comment